Tuesday, April 29, 2008

At Least Barristas Get Tips

This morning I was getting my daily dose of caffeine at Starbucks. I was in line behind 3 or 4 people, but the line was moving along. The barristas were friendly, chatting with customers as they steamed milk for lattes and blended ice and sugar-water for frappuccinos. A woman rushed in, interrupted the transaction of the person that was paying at the register and demanded to know how long the wait was.

The barrista replied smartly, “It depends on what the people in front of you order.” It totally killed the friendly mood of the Starbucks staff, they kept glaring at the impatient woman tapping her foot and checking her watch.

I had deja vu later today when another woman (why is it always women? I hate to be a traitor to my kind, but jeez) interrupted me with exactly the same question regarding prescription wait times.

This takes me back to that stupid USA Today article that I can’t quit thinking about. People want it (whatever IT is) FAST, not right. I’m sure they could have sold the in-a-hurry woman a cup of expired milk or dishwater and it would be fast, but it wouldn’t be the grande-triple-shot-skinny-soy-sugar-free-vanilla/hazelnut-extra-hot-no-foam-latte that she wants. People need to understand that they can have things FAST or RIGHT.

As with their Starbucks order or their prescription, accuracy takes patience. Slow down, people.
The USA Today article points out that high prescription volume increases chance for errors. I have worked in a high-volume store. There is a big difference between filling a lot of prescriptions for people coming in tomorrow (no huge rush) versus having 20 people in the waiting room glaring at you because their prescription isn’t being filled fast enough.

I guess the moral of my story is to call in your prescription a day or two before you need it, and to be patient with the barristas at Starbucks. They might just spit in your cup, otherwise.

No comments: