Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Holy opioids.

That's one thing I have to say about the new place of employment - some docs are not afraid to prescribe opioids for pain. Granted, I am serving a different population and many of my new customers have cancer pain.

Today, I dispensed 360 OxyContin 80mg tablets, 360 Percocet 10/325mg tablets, 240 carisoprodol 350mg tablets, and 90 diazepam 10mg tablets to THE SAME PATIENT. It's amazing to me that he's even walking around.

It really reinforces what they told us in pharmacy school: there is no ceiling dose for morphine. It's all about tolerance.

This is not our only patient on crazy high doses of pain meds, he is one of many. All of the prescriptions are legal and the patients were titrated up to doses that high, but it still really blows my mind. I'm used to dispensing 60 OxyContin 10mg or 20mg tablets at a time - I am not sure I had EVER dispensed the 80mg tabs until I worked here.